Uttar Pradesh’s identity is due to its civilization and culture. This is the state where the two greatest incarnations of the century, Maryada Purushottam Ram and Yugpurush Shri Krishna were born. Where people learned the purpose of living life from Ramcharitmanas, on the other hand learned the essence of life from Mahabharata. The land of such great deeds has given birth to many great men, wise men and ascetics. People consider themselves fortunate to see such a holy state. Here you will find religious, cultural and historical places to visit. This trip plans to tourist places in Uttar Pradesh will prove to be an important trip of your lifetime. You can start this journey from the capital of this state i.e. Lucknow.
Explore Top Tourist Places in Uttar Pradesh
There is a list of top tourist places in Uttar Pradesh where you can visit with your family or friends as well as a solo trip. Let’s see: –
Lucknow: The City of Nawabs
Firstly, Lucknow is the best in the tourist places in Uttar Pradesh due to being a capital city with a variety of tourist spots. Lucknow is full of religious, historical and natural tourist places. The city is famous nationwide for its delicious cuisine, beautiful chikankari work, hospitality and historical buildings.
Famous tourist places to visit in Lucknow
1. Bara Imambara / Chhota Imambara: One of the most famous tourist places of Lucknow, Bara Imambara is the pride of Lucknow. This fine building was built by ‘Nawab Asaf-ud-daulah’ of Lucknow. The reason for the construction of this beautiful and grand building is also as beautiful as it is. It was built to provide employment to people for relief from famine.
Like the Bada Imambara, the Chhota Imambara is also very beautiful and grand. This luxurious building was built by Nawab Muhammad Ali Shah.
2. Rumi Darwaza– Built in the Awadh architectural style, this unique door reflects the grandeur of the Nawabs. This gate holds an important place in the tourist destination of Lucknow.
3. Dr. Ambedkar Park – Spread over 107 acres, this grand and beautiful park is one of the most famous parks in Lucknow. It is the most visited place after Bara Imambara for all the tourists visiting Lucknow.
4. Hazratganj/Aminabad – If you have come to Lucknow, then definitely enjoy shopping in these famous markets. Here you will find Vaastu of all brands ranging from delicious cuisines to cheap and expensive ones.
Read More: Lucknow to Ayodhya Road Trip
Ayodhya: The Birthplace of Rama
By the way, you all know that Ayodhya is the birthplace of Lord Shri Ram. With the construction of the grand and luxurious Ram temple, Ayodhya has become a major attraction among devotees and tourists. Right now there is not much for you to visit in Ram Nagri, but in the coming time you will find many places to visit here. If you want to enjoy the festivals here, come here on the auspicious occasion of Sri Rama Navami and Diwali. At this time the whole city of Ayodhya is shining with lamps and lights.
Main attractions of Ayodhya:
1. Ram Mandir – This holy city situated on the banks of river Saryu is famous all over the world for Ram Mandir besides Ram Janmabhoomi. But this temple is under construction.
2. Hanumangarhi– Hanumangarhi is the most famous religious and tourist place of Ayodhya after Ram Mandir. It is said that a visit to Ayodhya is incomplete without visiting this temple.
3. Nageshwarnath Temple – This temple dedicated to Lord Shiva is a unique and divine temple in itself. If you come to Ayodhya, do visit this temple. The temple is crowded with devotees on the day of Mahashivaratri.
Prayagraj: The Sangam City
This city, called Sangam City, is worshipable in all three worlds. Along with religious importance, this city also holds an important place in the field of education, justice system and tourism. Prayagraj is world famous for the holy Triveni Sangam of Ganga, Yamuna and Saraswati, besides the Kumbh Mela and other festivals. Kumbh Mela is held here every twelve years and Ardh Kumbh Mela is held every six years. In this fair, crores of devotees take a holy dip on the banks of the Sangam.
1. Sangam – All the tourists coming to Prayagraj do local tour from Sangam beach only. If you do not come to Sangam city and take a dip on the banks of Sangam, then your visit to Allahabad will not be called complete. It is said that taking a bath on this holy shore washes away all the sins of a man.
2. Prayagraj Fort – This fort, containing the stories of its history and present, is still standing firmly on the banks of the Sangam . This fort was built by Mughal ruler Akbar. Built in the Mughal architectural style, this building is a center of attraction among tourists visiting Prayagraj.
3. Hanuman Temple: In any temple, all of you must have seen the idol of Hanuman ji in a sitting position, but in this temple, the idol of Hanuman ji is present in a lying position. People come from far and wide to visit this unique temple.
4. Chandrashekhar Azad Park– Named after one of the bravest freedom fighters, Chandrashekhar Azad, this park was built in the memory of his martyrdom. The statue of Chandrashekhar Azad has been installed in the middle of this park.
Book a Taxi: Taxi Service in Prayagraj
Varanasi: The City of Ghats & Temples
For the religious tourist places in Uttar Pradesh, Varanasi would be the best spot after Ayodhya. This city which lives both life and death together is called the city of Baba Vishwanath. You will never be bored in this city of Ghats. The residents here celebrate every day like someone’s festival. Kashi, one of the ancient cities of the world, is the most preferred city for foreign tourists in India as well as in Uttar Pradesh.
All the tourists who come to this beautiful city situated on the banks of Maa Ganga, if they come here once then they definitely come here for the second time. Here the narrow corridors painted with pictures of the holy ghats, Banarasi paan, Varanasi sarees, lassi, colourful gods and goddesses and sages are its pride. If you want to know more about Varanasi then you have to come here because I cannot describe Kashi in words.
Taxi Booking: Taxi Service in Varanasi
Varanasi Local Places to Explore
1. Kashi Vishwanath Temple – One of the 12 Jyotirlingas, Kashi Vishwanath Jyotirlinga is the most famous Jyotirlinga in the whole of India. This temple is situated on the banks of river Ganges in Varanasi, the cultural capital of the country. The world’s father, Shiva, who solves the problems of the people, is sitting here in the form of Baba Vishwanath. This temple is so grand and attractive that devotees and tourists do not lose sight of it.
2. Ganga Aarti and Ghats – Kashi is not only called the city of ghats because of there are many ghats, but because it is the center of people’s reverence and devotion. Although there are many ghats in Varanasi, but ‘Assi Ghat’ is the king of ghats. One can enjoy the wonderful sight of Ganga Aarti on this ghat. After the Aarti, you can visit the entire Ghats while taking a boat ride.
Apart from Assi Ghat, other major Ghats are Dashashwamedh Ghat, Manikarnika Ghat, Scindia Ghat now converted into Namah Ghat, Lalita Ghat, Tulsi Ghat, etc.
3. Sarnath Stupa– One of the main places of Buddhism, Sarnath Stupa is a holy pilgrimage place for the followers of Buddhism. This is the place where Gautam Buddha delivered his first sermon for the welfare of mankind. Apart from the people of Buddhism, this place is an important place for tourists to visit. Situated in a natural and holy environment, this monastery is situated just 10 km away from Varanasi City.
4. Ramnagar Fort– This fort made of sandstone is a historical place for tourists visiting Varanasi. This fort was built by Kashi Naresh Balwant Singh in 1750 on the holy banks of the river Ganga. Here you will get to see the temple, museum, luxurious palanquin, armoury, royal cannon etc.
Mathura: The Birthplace of Shri Krishna
In the view of tourist places in Uttar Pradesh, Mathura would also be the top. This spiritual city is the birthplace of Shri Krishna, which tells the victory of good over evil. This city, located in Uttar Pradesh, is a symbol of faith for national as well as international pilgrims. Every year lakhs of people of ISKCON sect come here for their prayer, meditation and kirtan. This Madhunagari, situated on the banks of river Yamuna, will inform you about all the chapters related to the life of Shri Krishna. When you roam around this holy city, you yourself will have an interview with spirituality. If you want to see the splendour of this place, then you should come here during the festival of Janmashtami and Holi. At this time, the crowd will be slightly more, but you will get double the pleasure.
Mathura Local Tourist Spots
1. Shri Krishna Janmasthan – This supernatural temple is considered to be the birthplace of Shri Krishna. People here call Krishna Govind, who made this earth great by his deeds. The structure and atmosphere of this temple will mesmerize you. This temple dedicated to ‘Keshavdev’ is located in Mallapura, Mathura, Uttar Pradesh. There is a huge crowd of devotees here during Krishna Janmashtami. On that day this temple is decorated like a bride.
2. Prem Mandir – The most beautiful and famous temple of Mathura is situated in Vrindavan by the name of ‘Prem Mandir’. This temple is a centre of attraction not only for devotees but also for tourists. This white looking temple made of Italian Carrara marble shines as much in the dark of night as it shines in the light of day. Built on 54 acres, this temple is a wonderful piece of architecture. Seeing this, the word ‘wow’ will come out of your mouth.
3. ISKCON Temple – This temple dedicated to Shri Krishna and his brother Balram is famous as ‘ISKCON Temple’ located at Raman Reti in Vrindavan. More English people will be seen in this temple than Indian people; maybe that’s why people call it a British temple. Surpassing the zenith of beauty, this temple is the first choice of all the devotees visiting Vrindavan.
4. Govardhan Parvat – This is the same mountain which was lifted by Shri Krishna with one of his fingers to save the people of Mathura from heavy rains. This mountain is still as important as it was in Dwapar Yuga. Devotees who have come from far and wide circumambulate this holy mountain considering it as God.
There are many other tourist and religious places to visit in Mathura like- Dwarkadhish Temple, Vishram Ghat, Mathura Museum, Kansa Fort, Jai Gurudev Temple etc.
Agra: Taj Nagari
This city is also in the top list of tourist places in Uttar Pradesh due to the Taj Mahal. This is a city that needs no introduction, ‘Taj Mahal’ located in this city gives recognition not only to the whole of Uttar Pradesh but to the whole of India in the world. This city situated on the banks of river Yamuna, was once the capital of the Mughals. If you go to visit this city even today, you will be able to see how glorious and prosperous this city must have been in the past. The city is known for its fine historical buildings, leather goods, carpets, handicraft items, petha and gajak.
Agra Local Places to Explore
1. Taj Mahal– Someone has said that ‘there are only two types of people in the world, one who has seen the Taj Mahal and the other who has not seen the Taj Mahal’.
There is no Indian to give such a comment rather than former President of America ‘Bill Clinton’ had said this after visiting Taj Mahal during his visit to India. This building made of white marble is the first choice of Indian tourists to foreign tourists. This building has its location on the banks of river Yamuna is included in the ‘World Heritage Site’.
2. Agra Fort– Almost all the famous buildings of Agra are included in the ‘World Heritage Site’. One of these buildings is the Agra Fort. Made of red sandstone, this fort, is also popular as the Red Fort of Agra. The credit of building of this fort goes to the Mughal emperor Akbar.
You will find ornate pillars, Angoori Bagh, Musamman Burj, Diwan-e-Aam, Diwan-e-Khas, Golden Pavilion, Jahangiri Mahal, Moti Masjid etc. to see in this fort built in Mughal architectural style.
3. Fatehpur Sikri – Fatehpur Sikri is the same city that Emperor Akbar had seen in his dream. Akbar not only saw it in the dream but also converted it into reality. That is why Fatehpur Sikri is also famous as ‘Akbar’s dream city’. Fatehpur Sikri is situated at a distance of 40 km from Agra.
There are many buildings to see in this city of dreams.
- Buland Darwaza.
- Panch Mahal.
- Dargah of Salim Chishti.
- Jama Masjid, Fatepur Sikri.
- Jodhabai Palace.